Wednesday, May 12, 2010

MKT595 Week 7 - Data Growth Explosion: Video is the Next Wave


Data Growth During the Recession
Despite the fact that we are in a recession, data is growing at 70%, according to news from the EMC World Conference currently being held in Boston. The title of this year's conference, "The Journey to the Private Cloud Starts Now."

Digital Universe
EMC calls the total amount of information the digital universe. Amazingly enough, only 5% of data comes from data centers, 35% comes from enterprise and

"About 70 percent of the digital universe is created by individuals, although companies are responsible for the security, privacy, reliability and compliance of 85 percent of that data, the study said."

Video As the Next Wave of Communication & Expression
My inside source tells me that the explosion of video sharing will be the next wave of social interaction. Not too surprising. It seems that I myself am going this way. In building my website I have come to realize that a video will draw in more website traffic. But optimizing video for SEO is not actually that easy. A holistic approach toward quality and best practices are still important for getting a top You Tube hit.

Just Flip It
I am considering buying a flip video camera. I guess all of the advertising on the CTA blue line coming to and from classes at DePaul has finally worn off on me. Once I get enough videos I'll be needing to buy some data storage from Carbonite.

Carbonite

How much cooler can you get than a company called Carbonite? The name carbonite comes from the material that Han Solo was frozen in Star Wars (see image above). I am sure that this dates me, but Han Solo was hotter than Luke Skywalker. Carbonite is a startup company - the "Symantec of Online Backup." This company is doing so well that they just want to go public next year. It is one to watch.

2 comments:

Kyra said...

Nice article. And Has Solo is WAY hotter than Luke Skywalker!! Always has been always will be.

James Moore said...

Yes - I have been pretty happy with the Flip, but having a smart 'phone that films video results in less gadgets to carry.

Over the next year you will see the minicam manufacturers really push the social angle.